Wednesday, April 18, 2012

HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING

    
     Out on one of my many errands today, I realized dinner would not be done unless I called my daughter at home to start it.  She browned the ground turkey for the tacos, but could find no taco seasoning.  "I'm SURE it's here somewhere!"  I exclaimed as I rolled in the door, jerking open cabinets and searching in strange places (because it's just like me to misplace something in my rush to get to the next thing).  I usually buy taco seasoning in the large jars from Sam's, but alas, I had forgotton to restock last time.  "Ok, no sweat", said I, "we'll just look it up on "All Recipes"!  (Which is what I do when I can't find a recipe - they have everything!)  Sure enough, there it was.  I'm not big on lots of chili powder and cayenne pepper, and I have some people who really don't like their food too spicy, so here is my modified version. I was missing a couple of ingredients - such as onion powder and crushed red pepper flakes, but it worked!  Adjust it to fit YOUR fam!

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • a couple dashes of cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 3 tsp. cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • a couple shakes of pepper
Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients together.
  2. Use 2-1/2 Tbsp. per pound of ground meat.
  3. Stir in 2/3 cups water along with the spices.
Wanna know the reviews?  My son - the "Taco King", didn't even know the difference.  And everyone else declared it "really good!"  This is major, people, you don't mess with the Gray family taco recipe!!!  I don't know if it's really more economical to make it, because now I'm almost out of cumin and paprika.  I'm sorta thinking it's just as well to buy the big jar at Sam's, but I did double the recipe and store in an airtight container for the next time.  Plus, it's always great to know you can do something like this in a pinch!
 

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE AllRecipes! I use that site often as well. I have always wanted to try this recipe, so now I think I will! :)

    Pamela S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word this is truly going to save me! We usually have tacos on Friday nights because they are so easy and by the end of the week - I am just done trying to think of something different. Running out of taco seasonings has happened to me so now I know the secret! (and I am going to double it too! :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it helpful, Paula! Thanks for the comment, I mixed up extra also. I know what you mean by being "done" by the end of the week, you just want something simple!

      Delete

Hey there! Leave your comments, thoughts and suggestions! I love hearing from all you cool people!