Wednesday, November 18, 2015

RUTHIE'S HOME MADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE


                                         


     Ever since I was a young mother I've made my own spaghetti sauce.  I'm not talking "canning", I just make it from scratch for dinner.  I first used the recipe from the back of a tomato paste can, then I modified, tweaked, and tasted down through the years.  I never could get into Ragu, Prego, or any of that other fast stuff. This isn't rocket science, there's nothing hard about it, it's simply a few ingredients thrown together, and I just like it better. I usually throw it in the crock pot - and I like anything that can cook itself!  See what you think - try it and tweak it to your tastes!

                             
Ingredients for Ruthie's Homemade Spaghetti Sauce


Ingredients:

  • 2 cans any kind of tomato sauce (I prefer Hunt's because I can get it in the large box at Sam's)
  • 3 cans Cantadina Tomato Paste with Italian Herbs - there is no negotiating here, this is the secret!
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar - I like a sweeter taste to take the tartness off the sauce - if you don't, use less.
  • Gound beef or turkey

Directions:

  1. Dump it all together, stir, let it simmer 15 minutes, add browned meat and simmer up to 15 minutes longer if desired.  POOF! Yer' done!  Oh, and add your pasta of choice.
As I said, this can be made in the crock pot with the browned meat.  Cook on high 1 hour, or low 3-4 hours.  I personally prefer the taste of of this slow cooked and I add a bay leaf, but it's yummy and fast either way! No seasonings to add because they're already in the tomato paste!

Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Leave your comments, thoughts and suggestions! I love hearing from all you cool people!