Thursday, March 29, 2012

HOW TO COOK SPAGHETTI SQUASH


                                   You won't believe how easy this is!


     Last week I bought a spaghetti squash in order to try another recipe from the 17 day diet.  I've been kind of putting it off, afraid it wouldn't turn out right or I wouldn't like it.  SURPRISE!!!  It was GREAT!!! So, I'm recommending it to you.  Just think of all the carbs you'll save by substituting this for your favorite pasta!  (Or at least you can eat a few bites of dessert because you skimped on the pasta.)  This is so simple to fix - just slice in half, scoop out the pulp, and microwave about a an inch of water in a class dish for 8 minutes!  C'mon - I'll show ya!

Ingredients:
  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • 2 cups chopped, fresh broccoli
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 diced garlic cloves
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 jar low carb marinara sauce
Directions:
  1. Cut squash in half lengthwise.  Scoop out the seeds and pulp.
  2. Place in glass baking dish with about 1/2 inch water, rind side up.
  3. Microwave 8-10 minutes per half on high (you can also bake at 375 degrees 40-45 minutes).
  4. Meanwhile, in a medium frying pan, saute broccoli, onion, and garlic in oil until vegetables are crisp and tender.
  5. When squash is done, let stand for a few minutes to cool.  Separate strands by running a fork through from top to bottom.  This is how you get it to look like spaghetti!  Place strands in a separate bowl.
  6. When vegetables are sauteed, add squash, mix together and  heat through.
  7. Warm the marinara sauce in microwave.
  8. Serve vegetable mix with marinara sauce on top. 
Makes 4 servings.  My family was very happy with this recipe.  The only thing I'd do different is probably add some salt, and I'd also use my own spaghetti sauce recipe (hint, hint;).
Sautee broccoli, garlic and onion in oil



Add spaghetti squash





           
                                                                          
                                                           
Tada!!!  Looks just like spaghetti!  Yummy!
                                        

24 comments:

  1. Hi Ruthie - LOVE this post, I love spaghetti squash but have never made it myself...I just pinned your recipe, plan on making it soon! Thanks for visiting my blog (sweetlittlebluebird.com) and leaving a sweet comment. Have a great weekend! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I'm so glad people are finding this helpful. I was excited about it since I'd never made it myself either! Thanks for following and taking the time to leave a comment!

      Ruthie

      Delete
  2. I have tried Spaghetti squash before. not bad. I am now followong you . I look forward to watch your cooking adventures as I love to cook and try new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooh, i love this! i only made spaghetti squash once in my life but it didn't really turn out as i pictured it. This looks like something i'd enjoy except i have to use some Cabot lactose free cheese.. My 1 year old enjoys broccoli so hopefully she would eat this. thanks for a great recipe.. i found u on the weekend bloghop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your enthusiasm! You really can't go wrong with this. I didn't use any cheese (but I did set out the Parmesan just in case!)It has a subtle, almost nutty flavor. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. I have never cooked spaghetti squash but this looks pretty yummy and easy!
    Stopping by from the blog hop and following. ;0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to try it, super easy and delish! Thanks for following :)

      Delete
  5. I always seem to burn or overcook the spaghetti squash, but I like eating it without the sauce anyway. Thanks for visiting & following my blog, I'm following back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the microwave version - no burning there! Thanks for the comment and the follow back, Cheryl!

      Delete
  6. Oh, that looks delicious!! I'll give that a try, for sure!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my link party and leaving me a sweet comment. You have a cute blog, here!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment as well, Emily! I love your blog it's so fun!

      Delete
  7. This looks so good! I have never tried it. Your newest follower! Can you please post at mt Taste This Thursday party!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spaghetti squash is so delicious! This looks yummy! Thanks for joining us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Come and join us again next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Thanks for your comment and I plan to visit very often :)

      Delete
  9. thank you for this!!! I grow this squash in my garden.. but I put it IN spaghetti sauce...I am way happy to have this new recipe!!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for the comment, and so glad you can use the recipe!

      Delete
  10. Looks delicious! I love squash. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen!!! You're so supportive!!! I am loving our group :)

      Delete
  11. Looks awesome! I make it but yours looks way better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so yummy! I have never even tried spaghetti squash, but this recipe makes me wonder why I haven't! Thanks for sharing!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We just made it again tonight, only I used the crock pot for the squash...since my microwave blew up last week!!!

      Delete

Hey there! Leave your comments, thoughts and suggestions! I love hearing from all you cool people!