Friday, February 24, 2012

CAULIFLOWER CRUST PIZZA

                            
                                       CAULIFLOWER CRUST PIZZA

     Another Pinterest find, this little gem is a delight to the palate!  I'm so glad I stumbled upon it, my family even likes it!  So, I put a little twist to it and made it my own - so much better for you than all that bread.  Add whatever toppings you like, I used fat free ham, red onion, green, and yellow peppers, along with 1/4 cup of part-skim mozzarella cheese and my own homemade pizza sauce.  I'll give you that recipe too - psssst...it's EASY!



                           
                                            TOPPING INGREDIENTS


Ingredients for crust:

  • 1 head cauliflower (3 cups shredded)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup fat free tomato basil herbed feta cheese
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic salt

                            
                                PREPARED CRUST, READY TO BAKE!
                         

Directions:

  1.  Shred cauliflower into small crumbles.  Use a food processor, it'll save your sanity. Remember, we want crumbles, not puree, so don't overkill.
  2. Place crumbles in bowl and microwave for 8 minutes.  Let cool a few minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Spray cookie sheet or pizza pan with nonstick spray.
  4. In medium bowl, mix cauliflower crumbles with remaining crust ingredients.
  5. Pat crust into a 12 inch round on prepared pan. Spray crust lightly with nonstick spray.
  6. Bake 15 minutes (or until golden).  Remove crust from oven and turn heat up to broil.
  7. Spread sauce on top of baked crust (see sauce recipe below) leaving a half inch border.
  8. Sprinkle mozzarella on top, add rest of toppings.  Can top with another 1/4 cup cheese if desired (I didn't).
  9. Broil pizza 3-4  minutes, or until toppings are hot and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Directions for pizza sauce:

  1. Use a 6-oz. can tomato paste with Italian herbs.
  2. Add 1 Tbsp. brown sugar and 1/4 cup water and mix.  Add more water if sauce seems too thick.
     This pizza serves 3-4 people.  Grab a fork, you'll need it to eat this kind of pizza!  Get creative with your toppings to suit your own taste, and I think you're gonna be pleasantly surprised at this tasty, low carb, low cal, healthy treat!!!
                           

1 comment:

  1. I saw this on pinterest too! I've got to try it. Visiting from the Ultimate Blog party 2012!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Leave your comments, thoughts and suggestions! I love hearing from all you cool people!