Grandma's Caramel Corn
We have had a great Christmas season here at the Gray house, and part of it is because I made vats of my Grandma's caramel corn. The men in my house adore this stuff - they hover around the stove, snatching bits and pieces as I stir. Even the dog benefits (she knows I'm a messy stirrer), so she waits at my feet for the scrumptuous droppings. People can not wait for it to be done, they ask at least 10 times when will it be done. Grandma made this every year at Christmas time, it was always a family favorite. You can add peanuts if you like!
When the corn is finished baking, be sure to continue to stir - do NOT let it just sit. It will harden, so stir a few times and transfer to an airtight container. You're welcome in advance!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 6-7 bags microwave popcorn
- Melt butter
- Stir in brown sugar, syrup, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring. Boil 5 minutes, without stirring.
- Remove from heat, add soda and vanilla.
- Pour over popcorn and stir. Turn into 2 baking pans.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- AS SOON AS you remove this from the oven, family WILL consume. BE READY!!!