These days my daughter Kylie cooks as much as I do. Every time I turn around that kid is whipping up something! She saw these on All Recipes and just had to try her hand at them. I have to say, they were absolutely SCRUMPTUOUS!!! (A word I associate with "scones"!) Kylie found a cinnamon glaze online to add to the top and I included it as well.
- 1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled and cubed (she used regular margerine)
- 1/2 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips (she used regular Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips)
- 3 Tbsp. orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- With a pastry blender or a large fork, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Mix in the orange juice to form a dough.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Pat or roll into a 9 inch circle about 1/2 an inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut into 12 slices or "scones", pushing the dough scraps together for the last few, if necessary. Transfer scones to baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Move to wire racks to cool.
- Drizzle with glaze below.
For glaze, mix together:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- Cinnamon to taste