I love a nice, thick beef stew, nothing dissapoints me more than when I order it in a restaurant and it's watery and soupy. That is not this! The secret is quick cooking tapioca, you can find it on the jello isle at your local grocery. This wonderful recipe can be either baked in stove or in a crock pot. I combined some ideas from a couple of my recipe books, the fam gave their stamp of approval, and the rest is history!
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1/4 onion, cut into chunks
- In a large bowl, combine tapioca, sugar, soup, broth, water, salt and pepper.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Pour into crock pot and bake on low 5-6 hours.
- If you prefer to use your oven, bake in a greased 13x9 covered pan at 375 degrees for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until done.