Tuesday, July 10, 2012

TACO SALAD



     Well it's summer time and who wants to fool much cooking indoors?  This is a dish that will get you in and out of the kitchen lickety split and there's not much hot cooking involved - except for browning the meat! 
     My son and I are pretty much the only ones around for dinner this week, due to certain other members of the family trotting off to FLORIDA on "business" and "youth conventions".  Since I am NOT in Florida, but instead here cooking for my son, I am cooking easy, and only things he loves.  He loves taco anything (I think I've said that before), and this is his all time fave.

     How is this different from other taco salads, you ask? 

                                             Here's my little gem.  The secret to my success.

     #1 Son is even more in love with his taco salad now that I discovered Spicy Ranch dressing.  Here's how I make it.

     Ingredients:
  • 1 head lettuce
  • 1 large tomato (or not - we leave it out cause sonny HATES tomatos.)
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey burger
  • 1 taco seasoning packet
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 bag Tostitos
  • 1 bottle Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch Dressing
    
     Directions:
  1. Brown meat, drain, and add taco seasoning according to directions.  Lay some paper towels on a counter and spoon meat onto them.  Lay another paper towel on top and press down - this soaks up any excess grease.  Let set while doing the next few steps.
  2. Shred lettuce head into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl.
  3. Drain and rinse kidney beans in a colandar.  Dry with paper towel and add to lettuce.
  4. Add the cheddar cheese to the mixture.
  5. Top with meat and add 1 cup of salad dressing a little at a time, stirring between additions, mixing well.  You can use more or less of this according to taste.
  6. Refrigerate.
  7. Right before serving, crumble up 1/2 bag of chips and add to the salad.  I wait to put these in last so the chips don't get soggy. 
  8. Stir in other 1/2 cup of salad dressing.  Again, you may prefer more or less. 
  9. Arrange salad in bowls with chips lining the outside (like the picture) if you want to dress it up a bit.
  10. Refrigerate any leftovers and eat for lunch the next day!
     Serves 8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Leave your comments, thoughts and suggestions! I love hearing from all you cool people!