DEEP DISH TACO SQUARES
Tacos? Did somebody say tacos? This is the secret to getting my son to like any new dish: put the word "taco" in front of it. Works every time. Hence, he loves this dish! But it really is a taco dish, and here's a funny twist - it came from Amish country. The same bed and breakfast where my parents stayed and had the Baked Oatmeal recipe that I posted. It's another one of those meals that if you forget to plan dinner, you can whip it together fast and no one will ever have to know. That's what I did tonight - because I snuck a nap in this afternoon.
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 green pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped onion (or dried minced onion)
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- Combine Bisquick and water, stir with fork until blended.
- Press in bottom of slightly greased 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes.
- Cook ground meat, green pepper and onion in skillet until meat is brown.
- Add taco seasonings after draining meat and stir in tomato sauce and spoon over baked crust.
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, and cheese, and spread over meat mixture.
- Sprinkle top evenly with paprika.
- Bake at 375 degrees uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
I usually serve lettuce, extra cheese, and extra sour cream alongside just so my son will be happy about the taco-likeness. He piles it on. Get creative - tomatos and black olives, will work too!